Update on Community Server issues that seem to affect this blog

by Michael S. Kaplan, published on 2005/06/29 11:01 -04:00, original URI: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2005/06/29/433824.aspx

Back in the beginning of May, I posted about Community Server issues that seem affect this blog.

Looks like they have been busy fixing some bugs!

Bugs #2 and #3 no longer seem to happen -- there appears to be full access via both the month links and the category links, all the way back to my original posts as far back as November of last year.

Bug #1 (searches unable to look past page #1) still happens, though it is slightly different now:

Search http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/ for a word that is there a lot, like collation. It is now up to 57 hits (but after all, the name of the freaking blog is "Sorting It All Out"; what did you expect?).

Page 1 has this link:


There are four link pages at the bottom. The links for 2, 3, 4 look like this:


all of which still point content-wise to page 1. If you instead use


then everything works. The PageIndex stuff looks like a no-op.

On the brighter side, the bug with the comment counting that I talked about in Comments work here (though not so you'd really notice or anything) seems to be getting better. Old posts with bad counts did not have their counts spontaneously updated, but new anonymous comments seem to be counted. If it is true, the counts will slowly start to get more accurate.

Someone has been busy fixing stuff. Awesome work, mostly, and that is more than good enough for me....

# Maurits [MSFT] on 29 Jun 2005 11:49 AM:

If you check out Larry Osterman's blog, you'll see a post with Date&Time in the subject. This was, at the time, misrendered as Date&Time.

So I whined via the MSDN Contact Us link that the subjects were being doubly HtmlEncoded.

Less than a day later I got an email back that it was fixed (!) Sure enough, the subject was rendered as Date&Time. I was impressed.

Then, Larry did another post - this one with "\" in the subject (including the quotes.) This one was rendered as "\"

After I stopped laughing I realized what had happened.

There's probably a line that looks like this...

lbl.Text = HtmlEncode(s); // no need for HtmlEncode

Instead of changing it to
lbl.Text = s; // lbl auto-HtmlEncodes

they had changed it to
lbl.Text = HtmlEncode(s).Replace("&", "&"); // see bug report by Maurits

Made my day. :)

# Maurits [MSFT] on 29 Jun 2005 11:56 AM:

Now that I check Larry's blog today, though, it looks like all the HtmlEncoding is working well.

# Michael S. Kaplan on 29 Jun 2005 12:13 PM:

I have had several posts with that problem (I got in the habit of using ' rather than " to keep it from happening to me). Cool if it is fixed, too (though it did not really bite me too much, so I did not worry much <grin>).

# Sushant Bhatia on 30 Jun 2005 5:54 AM:

Community Server is a nice ASP.NET blog/portal solution but its just ridiculously buggy and featureless. I'm currently running one on my home server and its just a pain to manage.

I'm actually planning on moving to Plone/Zope which is so much nicer. Its a Content Management System with the ability to do things like Blogs/Gallery/Forum/Podcasting/Media etc etc. And comments work on there :-)

Believe it or not, Plone/Zope is used by some VERY high faluting companies and organizations like NATO, and some non-profit orgs.

Anyways, I'm just saying there are alternatives if you think you can't take it anymore :-)

# Michael S. Kaplan on 30 Jun 2005 10:28 AM:

I am nowhere near *that* point, and on the whole I am pretty happy. I have a nice base here and several hundred posts that I would hate to have to "lose" in a move.... so I'll probably stay where I am. :-)

Please consider a donation to keep this archive running, maintained and free of advertising.
Donate €20 or more to receive an offline copy of the whole archive including all images.

go to newer or older post, or back to index or month or day